MCO will post updates on the RUO dispute on this page.
STATUS OF RUO DISPUTE 4/22/13: The Civil Service Commission classification division has finished its investigation. CSC representatives interviewed corrections officers at every prison in the state. Right now, we’re just waiting on them to analyze their findings and make a decision. MCO is doing everything it can to push this along.
- UPDATE 4/26/13 MCO recently inquired again about the status of this situation. This week, we received this response from our contact at the MCSC: “I expect to release our report within a few weeks—definitely in May.”
- UPDATE 6/4/13 Yesterday MCO again inquired about the status of the report. We received this response from our contact at the MCSC: “It will be coming out next week. Sorry for the delay.“
- UPDATE 6/17/13 Report received. The MCSC classification division said the DOC was within its rights to abolish the RUO classification. Read an MCO article on the decision or read the CSC’s report.
- UPDATE 6/29/13 MCO is appealing the CSC study on behalf of all affected members. Read more in this bulletin.
- UPDATE 9/27/13 MCO will file its appeal next week. Read more in this KYI.
- UPDATE 1/31/14 MCO filed an appeal as promised. We are waiting on the Department to respond.
- UPDATE 2/22/14 The state filed a response. Now a technical review officer will make a decision. Read more in this KYI.
- UPDATE 7/25/14 The MCSC technical review officer has sided with the Department. Read more in this bulletin.
- UPDATE 5/20/15 The Employment Relations Board sided with the Department. Read more in this bulletin.
- UPDATE 8/24/15: The RUO dispute has been filed in Ingham County Circuit Court. Read more in this KYI.
- UPDATE 1/22/16: This case will have a hearing Feb. 17. Read more in this KYI.
- UPDATE 3/17/16: The hearing took place as scheduled on Feb. 17. Today we were notified the judge ruled in our favor. Read more in this bulletin.
- UPDATE 4/8/16: MCSC and MDOC have filed an appeal request. Read more in this KYI.
- UPDATE 8/30/16: The appeal request was approved. The case now sits at the Michigan Court of Appeals.
- UPDATE 5/12/17: The Court of Appeals has scheduled oral arguments in the RUO/CMUO case for June 13, 2017.
Both sides have filed briefs with the Court of Appeals. The Court will make a decision sometime after the June 13 hearing. Remember, the Court has no deadline in taking any action or making any decision.
- UPDATE 6/13/17: The hearing took place as scheduled. A decision has not been made. We will continue to share any updates with members. Check out this video on the hearing.
- UPDATE 6/29/17: MCO was notified today that we were unsuccessful in the Court of Appeals. The decision is still being analyzed by MCO’s outside legal counsel. More details will be released in the future as we determine how to proceed.
Please be aware, the information on this page won’t change until we have an update. We are constantly asking the MCSC and our attorneys for updates and we communicate developments as soon we know the details. If you don’t hear or read anything new for weeks, it’s because there’s nothing new to report. The MCO KYI frequently has updates on the RUO challenge. To see past updates, visit our KYI archives.