MCO is hiring a Political Director. Full job description and duties are outlined below. Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to Cindy Kogut, MCO Finance and Human Resource Coordinator. Deadline to apply is June 7, 2019.
Michigan Corrections Organization Political Director
Purpose: The Political Director develops and implements political programs aimed at building MCO’s internal capacity and political strength. The Political Director will assist the Union in strengthening its electoral, legislative, and political fundraising infrastructure and capacity programs at the state and local levels. The Political Director will also assist in grassroots lobbying and media relations, work with the member engagement team and serve as MCO’s liaison with state and local public officials and political party officials.
- Coordinate electoral planning for targeted strategic legislative campaigns with MCO, the State Council and stakeholders with clear goals and benchmarks;
- Work with MCO members, Board and staff to build and execute field campaign for targeted elections, political accountability and state issues;
- Develop programs for recruiting, training, mobilizing and deploying member political organizers (MPOs);
- Ensure regular reporting of progress-to-goal for electoral programs;
- Increase the Union’s political, community and labor strength by developing and enhancing relationships with State Federations, Central Labor Councils, Affiliated and Independent Unions, community organizations and advocacy groups;
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with political, community, religious allies and elected officials;
- Develop and implement robust political giving programs (COPE & PAC) among our membership;
- Develop and implement long and short-term strategies to build capacity among the membership as it relates to political and legislative programs;
- Develop and execute effective political training and education programs for members and staff;
- Work with Communications Director to produce and supervise the production of policy and political talking points;
- Coordinate and implement internal electoral program including organizing and running phone banks, worksite voter ID programs, and coordinate with communications department on member outreach;
- Policy research and advocacy assistance;
- Identify and develop members for potential elected and appointed political or community positions;
- Represent the Union in political and advocacy coalitions;
- Work with member lists and managing worksite contacts and voter contacts including some data entry;
- Additional responsibilities will include research, writing, public speaking, preparation of reports and training materials as well as signing up new officers into MCO;
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment to advance the goals of the Union and its members;
- Ability to work with leaders, staff, partners and operate with a high level of judgment and discretion;
- Thorough knowledge of political campaign strategies, planning and execution;
- Knowledge and experience in use of polling, research, targeting, direct mail, opposition research;
- Knowledge and experience with managing voter contact and field campaigns;
- Knowledge and willingness to work with voter files, VAN and voter targeting;
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines;
- Ability to manage and develop electoral and grassroots campaign plans, program budgets, logistics and implementing strategic plans;
- Ability to present ideas that are clear, creative and reach intended audiences;
- At least five (5) years experience in developing and implementing comprehensive political plans;
- Ability to build and sustain new programs that engage members in effective and powerful ways;
- Availability and willingness to travel throughout Michigan and to work long and irregular hours;
- Ability to manage and direct junior staff and others as assigned;
- Ability to work with members employed inside various prisons at different security levels.
Supervision: This position directly reports to the Executive Director.