Michigan Corrections Organization/SEIU Local 526M is seeking a Labor Union Member Support Specialist. This position was created to develop and implement an innovative field program to improve membership engagement and assist with member benefits. While the applicant will primarily be working out of the Lansing office, there will be occasional travel throughout the state meeting with members in and out of state prisons. This position will require a pro-union mindset and general knowledge of labor issues, communications, understanding of employee benefits and clerical duties. Experience with Microsoft Office programs and other computer skills will be required. Law enforcement, corrections and union experience is preferred. Full job description and requirements can be found at mco-seiu.org. Deadline for resumes is June 18, 2021 at 5:00pm.
MCO is a 6,000-member union local representing Michigan Corrections and Forensic Officers. Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Michigan Corrections Organization Member Support Specialist
The Member Support Specialist’s position is to develop and implement an innovative and dynamic field program to improve membership engagement. This position will also provide calendar maintenance, communications, member benefits and other clerical and administrative support.
- Maintain relationships with members; meet weekly with members and leaders;
- Assist with implementation of internal organizing efforts to identify potential leaders and issues so as to organize the members to engage in lawful collective action;
- Support maintenance of special interest committees (Women in Corrections, Veterans, etc.);
- Participation in New Employee Orientation Program & follow up with non-paying union members;
- Maintain, update and distribute lists (office, wardens, facilities and union officials)
- Work with Communications staff to strategize around how to best use member communication tools to increase member engagement and involvement in union activities;
- Provide support to the Board to engage them in internal organizing;
- Answer telephones, take messages and transfer calls to appropriate staff as needed;
- Document database with membership issues, status updates, member’s personal information and deduction changes;
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and trainings; assist in room prep, agenda preparation, typing and distributing minutes;
- Prepare materials, including urgent correspondence, letters, fliers, forms and announcements;
- Mail out supplies to chapter officials as needed (i.e.: envelopes, contracts, etc.);
- Inventory, order and maintain office supplies
- Research and investigate benefit problems for members (i.e.: health care, LTD, FMLA, etc.);
- Assist with development and testing of strategies to market member benefits, recruit new members and retain current members using member benefits while working with other departments and outside partners;
- Work with the leadership to identify and develop engagement strategies, plans, campaigns and programs;
- Provide logistical support for large scale member led activities;
- Weekly documentation and reporting of activities related to achieving benchmarks;
- Travel to prisons throughout Michigan and interact with members and Union leadership;
- Participate in relevant training and professional development activities;
- Operate office equipment and process all incoming email;
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment to advance the goals of the Union and its members;
- Strong project management and organizational skills;
- Ability to independently develop creative solutions to complex challenges;
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines;
- Experience in preparing, administering, and maintaining a variety of electronic reports;
- Expertise using Microsoft Programs including Word, Excel, Power Point, Access and Outlook;
- Operate office equipment (i.e.: fax machines & copiers);
- Knowledge and understanding of collective bargaining issues;
- Capacity to learn healthcare benefits information as well as develop new benefits programs;
- Knowledge of union power building in right to work environments;
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills to provide a quality member experience and the ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Ability to work with members employed inside various prisons at different security levels;
- Availability and willingness to occasionally travel throughout Michigan and to occasionally work long and irregular hours.
This position directly reports to the Chief of Staff.