MCO Staff support the Board, the Central Committee, and all members in carrying out the day-to-day operations of the union.
Meet MCO Staff and contact the right person.
Michigan Corrections Organization
Description: The Benefits Coordinator is primarily responsible for providing support to our members in the areas of contractual health care benefits, Workman’s Comp, Long Term Disability, FMLA, COBRA and State Retirement plans. Additional responsibilities within the Organization may be assigned.
- Manage, research and answer member inquiries on health care coverage related issues.
- Maintain and provide contact information for Departmental and contractual benefit agencies that members may need assistance from or have to report to.
- Provide support and information to members on retirement benefits under the Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution plans.
- Provide support and information to members on FMLA entitlements and questions.
- Provide support and information to members on LTD entitlements and questions.
- Provide support and information to members on Workman’s Comp questions.
- Research and maintain working knowledge of the MCO Collective Bargaining Agreement as it relates to health care benefits.
- Maintain member confidence and protect operations by keeping data strictly confidential, including, but not limited to, the privacy provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Participate in relevant training and professional development activities.
- Assist and coordinate with other Organization staff and leadership with assigned tasks.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Demonstrate excellent oral/written communication skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Ability to work independently and professionally.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Ability to independently research solutions to complex challenges.
- Ability to multi task issues and meet deadlines.
- Capacity to learn complex benefits information as well as develop new benefits programs.
- Experience in preparing, administering, and maintaining a variety of electronic reports.
- Knowledge and understanding of collective bargaining issues and human resource management.
Supervision: This position directly reports to the MCO Executive Director.
If you aren’t sure who to contact, email our general mailbox and staff will make sure your message gets to the right person.